Ordering journal articles from the RCS Library
Members have access to a wide range of electronic journals via the Surgical Library. If we don't have what you are looking for, you can order articles using our document delivery service.
The Royal College of Surgeons of England is currently undergoing a major transformation project. This includes a building redevelopment that means we have moved the Library's physical collections to offsite locations. As a result, we have changed our procedures to supply document delivery requests to members from these collections.
Members and Affiliates
Members and Affiliates of the Royal College of Surgeons of England and the Faculty of Dental Surgery are able to use the document delivery service.
We can send articles from RCS England Library subscriptions at a cost of £3.00 per article. If we do not hold the journal you require, we may be able to obtain it from another library, as a photocopy. The cost for standard delivery is likely to be in the region of £13.00 for an article. We will advise you if the cost is higher than this prior to going ahead with the order. The procedure for ordering articles is outlined below; if you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Please check the Surgical Library to ascertain that we hold the journal.
- Print out, complete and sign the copyright declaration form. Please provide full contact details, including a telephone number and/or email address, and your College membership details. Please note that this form is an editable pdf and must be saved onto your own (local) device before you edit.
All document delivery is subject to copyright restrictions:
- Under current copyright law, it is not permitted to copy more than one article from the same issue of a journal for the same person.
- All copying is for non-commercial research or private study only.
- This form should also be used to provide your payment details. For credit or debit cards, we accept most credit/debit cards with the exception of American Express. We will not process the payment until we have supplied the article, and you will receive a receipt with the item.
- Return your completed and signed form to the library by one of the following means:
- email to email@example.com - the completed and signed form should be scanned as a PDF (.pdf) and attached to the email.
- post to:
The Royal College of Surgeons of England
38-43 Lincoln's Inn Fields
London WC2A 3PE.
- PDFs or photocopies will be sent on receipt of the signed copyright declaration. No responsibility will be accepted for events out of our control such as postal strikes or non-delivery.
For requests we would previously have supplied immediately from our print collections, our procedures have changed, allowing us to continue to supply document delivery requests to our members if required. These articles can be requested from the British Library with an increased delivery time. This will be charged at our standard £3.00 rate, rather than the higher rate for a British Library article.
Once we order the article from the British Library, it's likely to take up to 5 working days for it to be delivered to us and will then be posted to you. Confirmation will be requested before ordering to ensure this meets your deadline.
Health, charity and academic libraries in the UK can request articles required for a non-commercial purpose from our journal collection, as long as they participate in the British Library's document delivery scheme. We use the British Library scheme to reclaim the charges for our service. Charges are £5 to supply a copy of an article. Please read our service level agreement for full details of eligibility, copyright requirements and procedures. Libraries using the service to order material will be deemed to have accepted this agreement.
At present, we are only able to supply articles from titles we hold electronically.
- Please check the Surgical Library to ascertain that we hold the journal. Please remember that we cannot supply more than one article from any one issue of a journal at any one time, as this contravenes copyright law.
- Download our order form and complete the details.
We need your British Library account number (e.g. 87-1234) and a request number for each request in order to process your order.
- Email the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will then supply the material or contact you if there are any problems.