RCS Resources for Trainees
The RCS is committed to providing trainees with support and resources for entering and progressing through a surgical career. Find out more below.
Most trusts or hospitals have a Surgical Tutor, who ensures a high standard of surgical training for all core trainees in that trust. Contact your Surgical Tutor if you have any questions regarding training or professional issues.
Our dedicated careers team are available via email and telephone to answer your queries. Please contact us at email@example.com or on 020 7869 6227.
RCS Affiliates scheme
Becoming an RCS Affiliate is the ideal way to begin your relationship with the College as a trainee.
For only £15 a year, you will receive a huge range of benefits, including:
- Careers support and advice
- Career development events tailored specifically to your needs
- Discounts on courses
- Access to our library services and e-journals
Find out more about becoming an affiliate.
Portfolio-enhancing activities at the RCS
We offer a number of opportunities for trainees to assist with our events. This can involve anything from sharing your experiences as a trainee to teaching basic surgical skills to students. These opportunities are a fantastic chance to bolster your portfolio - you will receive a certificate or letter of thanks from us to confirm your participation.
If you are interested in volunteering please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, including your career grade and location.
The Wellcome Museum
The Wellcome Museum houses the College’s collection of anatomy and pathology specimens. It contains a modern anatomical and pathological teaching collection and is open to qualified practitioners and students on recognised courses. It is an excellent place to study and revise for the MRCS. Read more about the collections, visiting and events.
Library and Information Services
The College Library provides a range of services you may find beneficial. Find out more.
Intercollegiate Surgical Curriculum Programme (ISCP)
The ISCP website houses the curriculum for the nine surgical specialties as well as trainees’ electronic portfolios and the learning agreements which support training.
Joint Committee on Surgical Training (JCST)
The JCST is an advisory body to the four surgical royal colleges of the UK and Ireland for all matters related to surgical training and works closely with the specialist surgical associations in the UK and Ireland. It is the parent body for all Specialty Advisory Committees (SACs) responsible for each of the surgical specialties.
Useful web links
- NHS Careers The information service for careers in the NHS in England.
- NHS Jobs the website where jobs including non-training grades are advertised.
- Health Education England (HEE) - specialty training
- British Medical Association (BMA) Leading organization of doctors in the UK.
- British Medical Journal Careers (BMJ Careers) The most current and comprehensive medical jobs and courses listings and careers information online from The British Medical Journal (BMJ Careers).
- The Lancet UK medical journal.