Every member of the surgical team has the power to reduce surgery’s carbon footprint. Learn more about sustainability in surgery and how you can drive forward positive change using the resources below.
Green Surgery report
We have endorsed a new landmark report that sets the groundwork for reducing the carbon footprint of surgical care. The Green Surgery report is the world’s first detailed account of how to reduce the environmental impact of surgical care while maintaining high quality patient care.
Be a force for change
Our Sustainability in the operating theatre good practice guide is designed for all members of the surgical team to support improvements in surgical care through small, sustainable practices that maintain patient care and support environmental health. The guidance offers practical guidance relating to solid waste production, care pathways, green purchasing and more.
- NHS England: A Net Zero NHS
- The BMJ: A more sustainable NHS
- The Lancet Report 2015 Climate and Health
- UK Health Alliance on Climate Change
- UN Sustainable Development Goals
- What impact is dentistry having on the environment and how can dentistry lead the way?
- The effect of anaesthetic gases on global warming